The Importance of Feeding Birds in Fall & Winter
Don’t Forget Our Feathered Friends in Autumn and Winter Months
As Autumn is in full swing and winter is on its way we shouldn’t forget our feathered friends. There are several reasons why bird lovers should still be feeding their backyard flock throughout the fall and winter months.
Fall is an ever-changing season and it can be a very rewarding time to feed birds. At this time of year, supplies of natural food sources for birds diminish; supplying a continued steady source of birdseed will assist a variety of birds in several ways.
- Birds require high energy, (high fat), foods during the cold winter weather to maintain their fat reserves to survive the frost nights.
- Help resident birds build fat reserves for energy once they begin migration.
- Provide an easy food source for migrating birds passing through the area.
- Attract the first winter bird species and encourage them to remain nearby all season.
- Help birds recognize a location of reliable food sources so they will return to the same place in the spring.
By feeding birds in the fall, not only will you assist migrating birds, but you will also help other migrants learn where to go next spring for good food and thus increase the size and diversity of your backyard flock.
At Decker’s, we have a wide selection of premium quality bird seed from Lyric, Valley Farms, and Cole’s that will help attract a diverse selection of feathered friends to you backyard. We also carry a large selection of bird houses, bird feeders, and accessories.